School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SBATs) are an excellent way for students to get a head start in their career while still at school.
Students doing a school-based apprenticeship usually combine the final 2 years of school with paid part-time work. This enables them to finish the first year of their trade whilst completing the HSC. They then go into the second year full time – usually with the same employer – once they leave school.
School-based traineeships are fully completed within the final 2 years at school, providing students with the HSC, a VET qualification, a Certificate of Proficiency and paid experience in the workplace.
Where Do I Start?
- Explore the school based apprenticeship and traineeship options on the NSW School Based Apprenticeship & Traineeship website
- Research interesting occupation(s) using sites such as My Future or Smart and Skilled Job Guides to find out where they can take you in the future
- Talk about your career ideas with your school Careers Adviser and parents/carers
- Discuss with your Careers Adviser how an SBAT will fit into your HSC pattern of study. Ask about Industry Based Learning as a subject option
- Find an employer
- Work with your school to submit an Application to Establish a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship
- Your local SBAT Coordinator and/or school will help you on your way
Things to Consider
Students who take on a school based apprenticeship or traineeship are motivated young people who don’t just want to plan their future career, they want to experience it now. It’s very important that you think about how you can manage your SBAT by considering:
- Is this a career I’m interested in?
- Can I handle school, work and training along with family and community commitments?
- Do I have a support network around me to help along the way? Teachers, careers adviser, transition advisor, parents/carers, friends, mentors etc.
- Can I make travel arrangements to get myself to work and training on time?
If you answered YES to the questions above, an SBAT may be a great option for you. Check out the SkillsOne videos highlighting the School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships Program in NSW.