This qualification is nationally recognised entry-level qualifications for employment in the Retail Services industry. This course would suit students who are interested in a career in the retail environment, retail management, marketing, advertising and finance. The transferable knowledge, skills and attitudes acquired by students in this course will also be of value in future study and daily life.
Available at these schools
This is a 240 hour course that runs over 2 years. It may be possible to undertake a 120 hour course in Retail Services.
This is a Board Developed Course, Category B. Students who complete the 240 hour course may sit for the optional HSC exam. Mandatory units of competency detailed in the NESA Syllabus are examined.
One Category B course (2 units) may be counted towards the calculation of the ATAR for university entrance. Students not wishing to achieve an ATAR need not sit the HSC examination.
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) requires students to complete a minimum of 70 hours of work placement. Work placement is a mandatory component of the course and must be completed prior to the HSC exam.
Days worked as part of a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship satisfies this NESA requirement.
A course fee is generally charged by schools to cover consumable materials. Your school will provide further advice.
This course is competency based and the student’s performance is recognised against a prescribed industry standard. Assessment strategies may include:
- Student demonstration
- Written tasks
Students are given a number of opportunities to demonstrate competence across the range of competency standards covered by this course.
Recognition of Prior Learning
You may be entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. If you have completed any training, either through your part-time work, TAFE or other school VET courses you have completed recently, or through experience gained in other ways you can apply for RPL. You should talk to your School VET Coordinator, Careers Adviser or course teacher for further information.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
To be eligible for this qualification you must successfully complete: 13 units: 8 core, 5 electives:
Contribute to workplace health and safety
Work effectively in a service environment
Work effectively in a team
Engage the customer
Assist with customer difficulties
Build customer relationships and loyalties
Identify and respond to security risks
Sell to the retail customer
Electives may include:
(Your school will confirm which electives will be delivered.)
- SIRXIND002 Organise and maintain the store environment
- SIRXMER001 Produce visual merchandise displays
- SIRXPDK001 Advise on products and services
- SIRXSLS002 Follow point-of-sale procedures
- SIRXINV001 Receive and handle retail stock
- SIRRRTF001 Balance and secure point-of-sale terminal
Individuals with this qualification are able to perform roles, such as:
- Provide product and service advice in a retail store
- Sell products and services in a variety of retail settings
- Work as a checkout operator
- Check stock and replenish shelves
- Organise and maintain work areas and displays
Duties and Tasks
- Advise customers on the location, selection, price, delivery, use and care of goods available from the store, with the aim of encouraging them to buy and to return to buy in the future
- Operate cash registers and accept payment, or prepare finance arrangements (invoices and contracts, for example)
- Take special orders for items not currently in stock, or not normally stocked, and notify customers when the items have arrived
- Package goods for customers and arrange delivery
- Price, stack and display items for sale and keep the store tidy and attractive
- Be aware of health, safety and welfare issues and practices
- Participate in stocktaking (counting and describing the goods in stock)
- Arrange for the repair of damaged goods or advise on necessary repairs
- Order items
- Enjoy working with people
- A helpful, courteous manner
- Neat personal appearance
- Good communication skills
- Able to deal accurately with money
- Motivation and drive
- No skin disorders if working with food
- Good problem-solving skills
- Willing to work as part of a team
- SIR30212 Certificate III in Retail Operations
- SIR30312 Certificate III in Retail Supervision
- SIR30412 Certificate III in Business-to-Business Sales
Type the qualification code into the search bar, then click on the qualification title.
Explore Career Pathways and Student Outcomes including Employment, Salary, Occupations.